Bry's Reviews > Kitty and the Midnight Hour

May 10, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook, 2010, urban-fantasy
Read from May 02 to 10, 2010

Thoughts from before I finished the book:

Only 3 chapters in and I am slightly disgusted. All the reviews here talk about this story being a coming to story for Kitty, a woman traumatized and learning to stand on her own again. Seriously though the way she is treated within the pack is just as emotional and mentally abusive as the half ripping her to shreds to make her a were in the first place.

In the name of 'protection' she cannot even go out by herself, has to fork over half of her money to keep her job, and isn't taught to hunt or protect herself so that the alpha can keep her as a 'cub' within the pack. Not to mention that the alpha Carl basically treats Kitty like a whore. He has his way with her and she allows it all for some minuscule scrapes of so called affection. Even if I hadn't read a ton of other were books that strictly adhere to the mating for life idea I would still find this demeaning and sad. And Kitty doesn't seem to have been this submissive and undemanding before she was turned into a werewolf. Also, whenever Kitty shifts into her werewolf form Vaughn switches into this weird 3rd person POV. She treats the wolfs as completely separate entities from the characters when in their forms as if that makes it ok that Kitty is now prostituting herself for a pat on the head.

The plot though involves assisins, fake faith healers pedeling a supernatural cure, dissapering vampires, and the revelation that were's and vamp's exist to an unknowing world. In other words, the plot seems awesome. It is just the pack ideals and dynamic that I find disgusting, demeaning, and as another reviewer put it - 'rape-y'.

Finally, I detest the woman's voice who is reading this book on the audiobook. She makes Kitty sound like she is running a 900 number with her deep, breathy take on the character. I'm hoping that this was the reason I didn't enjoy the book as much. I am going to read the second book myself, and am hoping this will have me enjoy it more.

Thoughts from after I finished the book:

The plot is what saved this book. If there hadn't been some great plot points I would not have survived throught the 4th chapter. Truely the beginning of this book just disgusted me with the characters thoughts and ideals. I especially enjoyed the involvement of the faith healer Elija Smith.

The ending though totally annoyed me plot wise. I couldn't believe that it ended the way it did. Totally pissed me off. It must be for a reason that is further developed in the next book, but for now I'm sad and annoyed.

Thankfully though Kitty grew up as a person and realized some key things not only about herself, but about her pack, her WORTHLESS alpha, her true friends, basically everyone and everything in her life. I must say in the end I am proud of her.

Who knows, maybe I have just been spoiled by how wonderful the werewolfs are in Patricia Briggs's novels. This new take on their society (an alpha who can take what he wants without mercy, love for the pack, or compassion for its members, etc.) is just horrible and I really disliked it.

At this point the next book in the series is going onto my TBR pile, but I doubt I will be getting to it anytime soon. I did redeem itself slightly in the end but now as much as I had hoped. There are something like 8 books in the series though so it MUST get better.
28 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

05/05 page 100
100% "Still pissing me off but at least she is starting to realize the way the pack treats her is abusive." 4 comments
05/06 page 140
100% "The characters are starting to show signs of improvement. Thank god the plot is pretty awesome." 5 comments
05/08 page 200
100% "I'm gonna finish it. I am! Thank god this had a good plot to keep my interested!" 6 comments
02/17 marked as: read

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Whoa, I have to read this now, LOL. I want to know if there's a rhyme and reason to this.

message 2: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry I'm giving it another chance, but as I was listening to the audio book today I was actually getting seriously mad at the way Kitty talked, responded, and acted whenever it came to being a were. As a radio DJ though she is awesome, funny, and entertaining.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user Hmm, I'm guessing she comes into her own in the next books. What do you think?

message 4: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Not sure. I listened to it again in the car and the plot is picking up a bit. Theres a secret government agency involved, and a faith healer peddling some kind of supernatural cure, supernaturals are going missing. All in all I am loving how the plot is progressing.

But the characters are getting worse and worse. turns out Carl the alpha who sleeps around with Kitty already has a mate and apparently does with this all the females in the pack. Also other males i nthe pack can demand the same of her due to her being the lowest in the pack heirarchy. Yet instead of being mad or even trying to get around these things (since she is too weak to directly challenge them) she just takes it and allows it to validate herself. I just don't get it.

There are 8 books in the series though so something has to get better. Still unsure though as to whether or not I will continue to read. Kitty, the other weres, their whole set of ideals just infuriates me.

message 5: by new_user (last edited May 04, 2010 12:29PM) (new)

new_user Hmm, the plot does sound good. I wonder about the characters, hmmm. I hope they get better.

message 6: by Vered (new) - added it

Vered Oh man, I’ve just added this one. You say no?

message 7: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry I say....I dunno. I''m wondering if maybe reading the book myself instead of listening to the audio would have been better. Because at the beginning listening to how other belittled her and she demeaned herself were infuriating. Your listening and cant do anything. At least when you are reading it you could skim or skip ahead or whatever.

All in all I think I am spoiled by how wonderful the werewolfs and their world is in Patricia Briggs novels, that this different take on it was just too different for me. The alpha uses his rank to bully others, sleep around, cheat on his mate, find loopholes, etc. And Kitty had to suffer through all of this even though it wasn't in her character to do so before she got bit.

message 8: by Vered (new) - added it

Vered LOL

I’m all for skimming when needed. :)

Haven’t read P. Briggs yet, and come to think about it I haven’t read much were books. More vampires, daemons and friends :)

I have to have me some pack time soon ;)

message 9: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Oh my goodness, Patricia Briggs is one off my favorite authors. You should start with Moon Called. Considering your other books you should LOVE it!! Currently there are 5 books in the series (with the 6th coming next year), and an offshoot series based on other characters within the universe (the Cry Wolf series).

READ IT READ IT READ IT!!!

message 10: by Vered (new) - added it

Vered I have the first. will read soon!!

:D

message 11: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry YAY!

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user Darn, you beat me! LOL. Ah, well, I'm going to read it and then I'll check out your review. ;)

message 13: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Just barely! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Megan Bry, I was also disgusted with the Pack nonsense in the beginning. But I like that Vaughn showed the weaker side of pack politics. Were books always annoy me, because I hate the pissing contests. It never seemed like an ideal situation, and this book brought out the weak areas. Good for Kitty for figuring out she can go it alone.

Marie M. S. I just read the second one and it is tons better. I was definitely iffy about the first book and liked it just enough to try the second which was, in my opinion, way more enjoyable. Kitty definitely comes into her own.

Brenda Kirton I got caught up in these books and I have read the first eight. I was totally put off in the beginning by the pack dominance and abuse. But I like Kitty otherwise so I thought I would wait it out and see where it went. I love how Kitty has changed through the stories. I guess the beginning was necessary to show how low things were to start with.

message 17: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry True, she did need something to grow from an learn from but damn was it infuriating! I only made it through 3 or 4 books. I dot even remember now and I only got that far because I was listening to the audiobooks on my super long commute. Kitty grew but still continued to annoy me thru the series but the romance annoyed me the most and made me quit it.

Kristin I see that you changed your mind a little about this book by the end but here is my two cents anyway. :)

IMHO:

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Kristin wrote: "I see that you changed your mind a little about this book by the end but here is my two cents anyway. :)

IMHO:

By the end of the first Kitty book it is pretty obvious that her pack is terrible...."

That was a great comment and I totally agree, I think for me personally it was just too slow of a growth. I would have given up this book several times if I hadn't been listening to the audio book on 1-2 hour long commutes. If I had been at home reading (surrounded by 100 TBR books) I would have chucked this in the corner without a second though.

I love that she learns and grows but I was just so disgusted by her former packs behavior, that her slow realization of how awful it was totally bothered me.

Thank god she did learn though!!! Although I also have to say that I am not a fan of this series in general. It is different from other UF series which is good cause they shouldn't be all cookie cutter, but this series in general was just not my cup of tea. So I'm sure that biased me towards disliking it even more!