Graham's Reviews > TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone

TAZ by Peter Lamborn Wilson

Feb 06, 10

it was ok

I don't really know how to review this one, and I really wish I didn't have to give it a star rating so I'm just gonna give it a three because there are some five-star moments to this and some one-star (if you're gonna think about it like that).

On the most literal level, this work is a compilation of tracts on ontological anarchism that were originally published in the mid-1980s. There's a strong debt to Dadaism and the Beats (especially the latter, though that could just as easily be through the shared interest in subject matter like "pirate utopias" and Hassan-I-Sabbah), and a strong current of techno-utopianism which seems a little quaint in retrospect (Bey's proposition that the nascent Internet might be a means of achieving a social space ungrounded by government).

I don't even know what I'm doing reviewing this. It's not exactly a manifesto, Bey would probably bristle at such an idea, with its implicit connection with telling people what to do. If you're into a sort of free-spirited, amoral, mysticism-soaked pseudo-ideology, this is perfect for you. If you're looking for a more traditional, throw-down-the-gauntlet set of political ideas, you'd probably agree with Murray Bookchin that this is a loosely-defined call to "lifestyle anarchism" and should probably stay away.

I'm not too aligned with either side, so I'd say it's an interesting document of a single spot in time, indebted to some good ideas, putting forth some other good ideas, but ultimately lacking in any sort of conventional coherence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read TAZ.