Jim's Reviews > The Innocence of Father Brown

The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton

Feb 05, 2010

bookshelves: chesterton
Read from February 05 to 06, 2010

Because the first G.K. Chesterton story I had ever read -- many years ago -- was "The Blue Cross," the story that opens The Innocence of Father Brown, I have been consciously avoiding the Father brown stories and reading just about everything else by GKC that I could lay my hands on. Was it that I didn't like the story? Not at all! It was just that I was saving it for another occasion. Well, that occasion arose this week.

There is a strange disconnect between the characters in the Father Brown mysteries and the landscape that they move around in. The stories center around a group of singularly flawed individuals, and the strange oddly repellent landscape they inhabit reflects on their moral turpitude or odd beliefs or other factors limiting their personality.

The detective Catholic priest seems to draw energy from this singular disjunction and succeed every time in exposing what flaw had led to the crime being investigated. The technique is simple and flawless; and the stories are all among Chesterton's best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocence of Father Brown.

02/05/2010 page 100