Crystal's Reviews > Dear Big V

Feb 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: arc, read-feb-2010
Read on February 05, 2010

Overall I'm not really sure what I thought of this book. I'll start with what I liked about it.

I liked Courtney, she is strong yet unsure and she has a quirky sense of humor that I appreciate. I think she can be a realistic teenager, constantly trying to understand what she believes. I also like how the situation was tackled. With so many books out there with pre-marital sex as something that no one truly thinks about (except to do it), this was refreshing that the other side was explored. I liked that everything was explored in a way I thought was realistic.

I also thought the book read well and it read quickly. I sat down with it yesterday afternoon and had it finished in a few hours. It also left me thinking and I like that in a book.

Now what I didn't like - there was a lot of setup for this book and then it was like a whole lot was crammed in at the end to tie it all up. I guess my main complaint was I wish the book could have been longer. I also thought the "lewds" were a little too cliched and blase about their status, but then again I think that may have to been to contrast with Courtney's "prudes".

Just a note - parents who may be reading this - this is not fully a book about abstinence so don't think of it in that way. I am not holding this up as Christian Young Adult fiction, just something that shows that a lot of kids do think twice about becoming sexually active. I can't go into much more than that because I don't want to give away any of the plot. Just don't think this book is teaching morals (nor do I think it should be, I just don't want to mislead anyone with my review). It's strictly fiction and a good book, but not anything to teach kids (maybe make them think, but not teach).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Big V.

02/06/2010 page 18