Crystal's Reviews > When Will There Be Good News?

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson

Mar 30, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, library, read-march-2010
Read from March 17 to 26, 2010

I received this audiobook from the library - I can't remember where I saw it, but it caught my eye on a blog somewhere I am sure. I had no idea that it was part of a series featuring Jackson Brody, or that it is the latest book in the series when I started it. In fact I didn't know it until I finished it and went back to look for more of Kate Atkinson's titles and found out that the series starts with Case Histories. Rest assured that Case Histories is now on it's way to me.

All of that said, you do not have to read these in order. I knew there were things about Jackson's past that were just glossed over in this book, and now I know why. I want to go back and learn more about Jackson since he was such an interesting character so I will read the other two books.

So what did I think of this novel? Well it's really depressing in a way, and at the same time, you keep turning the pages. Like a train wreck (and there is one of those in the book). This book is an interesting look at how lives can intersect and small things can affect many people's lives. It was also a look at the strength in each of the characters. They are all facing a demon of some kind and the train wreck throws them all together in a way no one expects.

There is lots of back and forth between the characters but it's never confusing because each of the characters are different. The novel is very character driven and the characters are well-fleshed out. I felt that the book moved along well and it never really drug for me. I found it interesting to see an interaction from both sides from time-to-time. It really made the whole story and it's characters come to life.

Come join in on the lives of Joanna, Reggie, Louise and Jackson for this span of a few days and live their lives through their eyes. It's a very interesting experience and When Will There Be Good News is not a book I am likely to forget any time soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Will There Be Good News?.