jennbunny Byrkit's Reviews > Undress Me In The Temple Of Heaven

Undress Me In The Temple Of Heaven by Susan Jane Gilman

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: memoir-autobiography
Read from December 13 to 14, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book has been on my TBR list for a while. I was looking for some other books at the library (online) and saw this one was on ebook so I put it on hold. It came available right away so I put everything else aside to read it since it was a 14 day loan from the library.

I am not going into the description of the story as that is listed on GR. It is a wonderful story and I read it in two days! I am quite impressed with the simple writing style to such a complex story. Really the story is quite heart-breaking at times as well with the mental health problems of Claire.

The narrator (Susie/Susan) did an excellent job at keeping the story on point and giving such good accounts. She kept the story "real" in expressing her emotions and not sugar coating her feelings or blame.

There are some questions I had at the end and I felt Susie did a good job at explaining as best she could. For one, why did Claire never see Susie again? Was she just way to embarrassed or was her mental health so damaged she just never recovered?

I was glad to see Susie gather all of her courage and sense of adventure and go back to Hong Kong and restart her journey.

Susie wrapped up the story pretty good at the end and I was glad to see she finally went back to see Lisa in China.

Overall.....a four star story for me and a quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undress Me In The Temple Of Heaven.

12/13/2011 page 40
13.0% "The book is off to a good start."
show 5 hidden updates…