Kris's Reviews > Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World

Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and... by Katherine Hannigan

Feb 05, 2010

Katherine Hannigan’s Ida B. is such a beautiful story. Ida B. (not just Ida, that’s her mom) lives with her mom and dad. She loves the nature that surrounds her home, making friends with the apple trees and stream. She has a beautiful dialog with the trees. During one of her night time walks with her father he talks about how they must be caretakers of the earth. Ida B. says, “the earth takes care of us too.” This is very much a theme in this book. Ida is home schooled and lives a beautiful life with her mom and dad. When her mother is diagnosed with breast cancer, Ida B. must attend public school and her father must sell off some of their land. The result, some of her beloved apple trees must be cut down. She is devastated and hardens her heart to try and survive. She refuses to make friends and has a miserable existence in public school. I love how she calls the school bus “the yellow prison of propulsion.” My own daughter hates the bus, so I found this humorous. Ida B. also believes O.K. stands for Overwhelming Kalamity. This book made my heart hurt and you will identify with Ida B. if you’ve ever felt your own heart harden when circumstances feel beyond your control. The story is realistic in that it isn’t a neatly wrapped happy ending. Instead you have a journey with heart break and hope in equal measure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World.