R.'s Reviews > Any Human Heart

Any Human Heart by William Boyd

Feb 10, 10

Read from February 05 to 10, 2010

This is not my favorite book, this is not the most lofty book I've ever read, its not going to break into the top ten list (although I think it has become cemented into the top 20) However, It was a total page turner that kept me up late and wishing my subway rides would last longer but some how managed to feel important and slightly intellectual at the same time. It was amazing and I'm afraid to even recommend it because if you don't love it as much as I did it will break my heart.

There are many things about this book that just shouldn't work- how is this seemingly slightly above average guy some how involved with half of the major events of the 20th century? How can a dairy format possibly create such strong characters and engaging dialogue? Isn't he just a tad pretensions? William Boyd manages to overcome all of these problems and create an interesting and somehow utterly believable main character.

If you like books that feature disgruntled British writers, famous modern artists and authors, World War II and British History, sexual encounters mixed with some unrequited love and loss, then you will likely be interested in this book. If, like me, you love all of the above then you will be obsessed with this book.

For a plot summary or things of that nature check out other Goodreads reviews or amazon. I just had to share a few thoughts on this book just in case you are waiting to read it and will absolutely adore it but just don't know it yet!
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Human Heart.

Ginni Dickinson Great review! I saw the PBS series, loved it and can't wait to read the book! Happy reading to you!