Ken's Reviews > The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century

The Next 100 Years by George Friedman

Apr 23, 10

bookshelves: j-geopolitics, dd-germany, muslim-issues, j-politics, b-philosophy, h-economics, dk-russia, djk-poland, t-technology, war, dr-turkey, ds-asia
Recommended for: Stratfor subscribers
Read from April 05 to 23, 2010, read count: 1

I read quite a bit of material from George Friedman’s articles from his intelligence report and without having done so, I probably would not have read this book in the first place. A geopolitical forecast for the next 100 years seems a futile attempt even for a person with too much time on their hands. He was very forthright in saying that the details were not the focus of this book and that the scope was to provide ideas about how the world might shape itself over the coming century.

What impressed me the most about this book was not anything to do with what was written in it; rather that anyone who saw me reading this book would press me for the very details that were not important to what Friedman had in mind. Mostly people were looking to validate their own premonitions about what they think will happen in the future. So this book to them was the magic eight ball. To me this book was an open ended argument that relied on history and current affairs to give an idea of what could happen over the next century. Friedman did a good job of combining economic, social, and political circumstances to show what could evolve along with technology in different parts of the world.

I should say that I agree with him 100% about the Russians. This is how I came across his intelligence report through his company Stratfor, and subsequently to this book. Time will tell how much of the details he gets right, and if the story unfolds in the way he tells it. I suspect that even if the details of this book are right on, future generations will not fall back on it as prophecy or use it to change course. In fact, there are no answers in this book, just premonitions, which makes it difficult to give this book any strong value. It was an interesting read though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next 100 Years.