Darla's Reviews > Black Duck

Black Duck by Janet Taylor Lisle

F_50x66
Nov 09, 11

Read from October 25 to November 01, 2011

(Genre:children's fiction/historical) The "Black Duck" was the actual name of a boat that ran liquor (a rum runner) during prohibition in the 1920-1930's along the New England coast. This book is told from the viewpoint of Ruben, a teenager living in a small Rhode Island coastal town during that same time period. As the story unfolds, the author does a great job of letting you see the effects (both positive and negative) of the illegal rum running and how it could impact the lives of so many people. It was a good 3 star adventure story. I gave it an extra star for the author's ability to make the characters so real and their relationships so complicated and messy. It was good writing and I enjoyed it. I did start out listening to this book on CD, but then I switched to reading it since we own a copy. There are 2 time periods going on in the book--the present and the distant past (1928-1930). Ruben is telling his story to a modern day teenager who is supposedly going to write it up for a local newspaper. It was easier for me to keep who was talking (and during what time period) straight while reading it rather than listening to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Duck.