F.R.'s Reviews > Nineteen Eighty Three

Nineteen Eighty Three by David Peace

Feb 07, 2010

In my review of ‘Nineteen Eighty’ I said that I was beginning to see how the formula of these books worked. And maybe Peace felt the same way, as this is by far the most ambitious of the tetralogy. Even having read the previous books, it was impossible for me to tell how it would end up. There are three protagonists – solicitor John Pigott, policeman Maurice Jobson and rent-boy BJ – who are, in the main, observed at different points of time but all seem to be following the same path.

This is a fine conclusion to the series, an excellent drawing together and summation. We find out the backgrounds to events in the previous books and learn how and why the strings were pulled. It would be quite pointless to read this without knowledge of its predecessors (although you might be able to get away with just reading ‘Nineteen Seventy-Four’, which is the book it leans on most) as this novel is a sequel, a companion piece and an amplification of the themes wrenched out across them. There would of course be a benefit in reading all four novels back to back – to truly appreciate where they connect – but such is Peace’s unrelenting vision of a violent world mired in every corner in corruption and compromise, that it would require a strong stomach.

Overall a superb series of books, but not a place you’d like to visit long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Eighty Three.