VegasGal's Reviews > Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure

Not Quite What I Was Planning by Larry Smith

Mar 06, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-2010
Read on March 04, 2010

Although the concept of writing one's memoir in six words seems to be a cool and novel idea that can be easily completed by anyone in a small amount of time, and quickly read by millions in a smaller amount of time, this book is a mixed bag. I say this because I at first was intrigued by this idea and further interested in discovering that this book was a part of a contest, I mean who wouldn't love to see their name in print, right? It's definitely packed full of some really candid, funny, touching and even sad lines. But after reading twenty or so pages, mostly with five entries on each page, and not knowing any of the people and what their particular entry really meant, it unfortunately became a rather boring and even a bit repetitive read. Cutting it down by half, or maybe include more famous people or adding a few more visual diversions throughout the book (ie. illustrations of the memoir) may have made it a bit more easier to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Quite What I Was Planning.