Tonya's Reviews > The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood

The Good Good Pig by Sy Montgomery

Feb 04, 10

Read in February, 2010

There are so many things to love about this book! It doesn't try to be anything but an honest, loving story about a couple and their journey with their pig, Christopher Hogwood. One of my absolute favorite aspects was that this book was unconventionally educational. Sy Montgomery has written several other books about her research and adventures with various exotic animals (ie pink dolphins of the Amazon, silverback gorillas in Zaire, vampire bats in Costa Rica, etc.). I assume that this writing style is something innate in Montgomery, but the book is jam-packed with factoids about pigs. And the information isn't boring or preachy; it's weaved in at the exact moment where the reader can understand by example. The depth the book goes into painting Christopher's personality is extraordinary. Pigs are such amazing animals, and this book proves that a million times over. It helps you understand why loving a pig is nothing but natural. Having owned a pet pig once myself, there is a fair amount I already knew about these brilliant creatures. But the book taught me so much more! It helped me to relive my happy memories of my pig, and lit a desperate need to revisit this lifestyle someday (sooner than later hopefully). I very much enjoyed the design of the book as well. The photos and the backgrounds used were appreciated. It would have been a let down to read about a majestic 750-pound pig and not be able to see something so grand and beautiful. I have a great deal of respect for Sy Montgomery and her husband Howard for choosing to love this pig so fully and unconditionally (and responsibly!), as well as all the other animals mentioned in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Good Pig.