Emily's Reviews > StrengthsFinder 2.0

StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath

Feb 04, 10

bookshelves: borrowed
Read in January, 2010

I read this book by request. The most interesting argument made by this rather banal little management book is that most people (and I would add, organizations) tend to focus on "fixing" their "weaknesses" at the expense of promoting and growing their strengths. That's a very motivating idea.

The first half of this book summarizes the authors experiences working for the Gallup Group that specialized in this Strength Finding Survey. Then identified a number of strengths (or "themes") that most people have and the second half of the book lists them with their definitions, anecdotes about that particular personality type and then doles out a check list of advice for what to do to improve your life if you happen to express the given theme. Supposedly, there is a quiz (a la Myers Briggs, I would assume) online that readers are supposed to take to help identify which themes they have in their lives but you need the unique access code published with each book and since the copy I read is from the library, couldn't access the online quiz. Wouldn't it behoove the author to make this quiz available to anyone?

Anyway, reading through the various strengths, it was quite easy to identify yourself and others in them. In collecting a little list of the ones that most closely align with myself, I was able to paint a little portrait of my professional personality. Nothing was too particularly earth shattering (I'm bossy!) and it wasn't too clear what you were supposed to do with it afterward, but it was an interesting exercise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read StrengthsFinder 2.0.