Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Ghost Medicine

Ghost Medicine by Andrew  Smith

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: belton, audio, horses, modern, mythology-native-american, realistic-fiction, young-adult, western
Read from November 02 to 15, 2011

My biggest issue with this book is that the author tells you at the beginning that three boys die on the mountain. I spent the whole book waiting to see which of the three friends wasn't going to make it because I was pretty sure that two of them were going to survive.

Other than that, I didn't really connect with the characters until about halfway through and even then it was tenuous. It was probably the narrator. He just didn't sound like a teenager and he didn't really have much inflection. Also, I was probably expecting something different from this book than a more modern young adult western. It would probably be a good read for a teen guy though.

There is tobacco use (maybe underage, not sure if chewing tobacco counts the same way), underage alcohol use, some kissing and touching though nothing beyond unbuttoning a girl's shirt. There is discussion about sleeping with that girl though. Several people are killed, a couple of people are shot, some one is bitten by a snake, an animal is killed by arrows, another is killed by guns, and a horse breaks some one's leg. There is quite a bit of cursing, but the f-bomb is not used. There is also a cop who can't seem to see that his son isn't a saint and takes it out on Troy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Medicine.