David Maine's Reviews > The Whole World Over

The Whole World Over by Julia Glass

Nov 08, 07

Recommended for: nobody
Read in May, 2007

This is the first book I've read by this author, and it will be the last. Although some of the scenes were engaging and well-written, she really shows her northeast provincialism by painting characters from new Mexico as utter good-ol-boy stereotypes. To top it off, after creating a pile of characters who are uninteresting and dull, she tries to ratchet up the emotional involvement by tossing in Sept 11: "Oh gosh! I hope so-and-so wasn't caught in the WTC!" or words to that effect. This is the cheapest type of writing--pulling out a recent and very genuine disaster to try to make your reader give a damn about watery, two-dimensional, uninteresting characters. It's happening a lot lately, and I find it offensive.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whole World Over.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy I didn't read this book, because her previous book, Three Junes (an award winner!) was not my cup of tea at all. Sad.

Andrea Why is that sad? Does every book ever published have to be everyone's cup of tea?

message 3: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly I'm reading the novel right now and find the portrayal of the people from New Mexico so joltingly inaccurate. Surely she ought to have come to New Mexico and seen that we're not like that and that, in fact, her characters of New Mexico aren't even a stereotype here.