Renee's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Mar 31, 2010

bookshelves: alternate-reality, gritty, sci-fi
Read from March 14 to 31, 2010

Willis needs to take her copy editor out back and teach them a thing or two....this was one of the more problematic texts I have read in a while. At one point I came across the word "commander" spelled "comnmander."

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book. Sure, the first few chapters read like a narration of a bizarre mix between a futuristic DMV and an out of control theater group, but after the plot thickens the literary life is pretty good. Willis has created an interesting picture of time travel and its consequences and manages not to fall into any cliched traps.

I am only subtracting one star because of the determination to skip around with every chapter, come hell or high water, and the abrupt cliffhanger (if you read this there is no avoiding book two, which is due out in September). I was almost relieved with the cliffhanger despite my annoyance because there were plot lines barely touched on in this volume and I would not have been happy to see them left in the air. I wanted to subtract another star from this review because there appear to be some serious holes in Willis' logic, but since there is a sequel I am willing to wait and see what the next book has in the way of clarification.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.