Diana Welsch's Reviews > Hold Still

Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from February 05 to 08, 2010

16-year old Caitlin is still reeling from the suicide of her best friend, Ingrid, when school starts and she has to face seeing her peers and teachers who also knew Ingrid. She finds Ingrid's diary hidden under her own bed and portions out reading entries day by day to make the most of the only new things she will ever be able to discover about her friend. She uses art and the new relationships that spring up in the wake of this tragedy to understand and come to terms with Ingrid's death.

I found Hold Still somewhat predictable. The instant it was revealed that Caitlin was into photography and her dad gave her a pile of lumber, I knew that these two things would play an important, symbolic role in her healing. Every person she was introduced to was clearly going to play some role as well. And they did. It was tied up too neatly in the end.

That's not to say there was nothing to enjoy about this book. It was well-written and about an important topic, one that unfortunately may be relevant to many teens. I would not hesitate to recommend it to girls looking for a sad read. I could see them enjoying it a lot, as they probably haven't read so many books that follow a similar trajectory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Still.