Kari's Reviews > Killing Mr. Griffin

Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan

Feb 09, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: school-or-work-related

** spoiler alert ** This is one of the books used in the private tutoring academy that I work for. I've made a little project of reading some that I'm unfamiliar with.

Killing Mr. Griffin was definitely a page-turner, but it left me scratching my head as to why we have it at the academy. It's not a "classic," it doesn't impart any deep messages (Except maybe "Kids, don't kidnap your teachers!"), and it has a couple of bits with mature language or situations that might concern some of the parents.

Warning, criminology-based rant incoming: Also, the twist about Mark being a social psychopath and therefore the others weren't as responsible for their actions...dumb. And the descriptions of what everybody would be charged with (especially the whole felony-murder thing) was awkward. This situation would be quite unusual and probably largely based on prosecutorial discretion. The other kids would almost certainly be charged with manslaughter and not second-degree murder, because you need intent to charge the latter, and they did not intend to kill him. While felony-murder does technically apply, I doubt that a prosecutor would actually use it.

Sorry, crime-related rant over. Decent, but not exceptional book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Mr. Griffin.