Julie's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

May 28, 2010

Read from May 15 to 19, 2010

wow...great pick for BWB. full review to come..WOW. Recommend this book to friends who liked Hunger Games or Maze Runner.

Gaia lives on the outside and helps her mother with delivering babies.Both of her brothers have both been advanced to help the Protectorate. Gaia does her first delivery and she advances her first child , which to her is helping the community. She comes back to her home and finds that her parents have been taken away to jail. Gaia also has a scar on her face, which she believes herself a freak.

Gaia at this time starts being questioned by Sgt. Grey and he is asking if she knows anything at all about records. She doesn't know anything , but she wants to see her parents. This city is color coded on status. The colors are red, white, black . She finds a way to get into the city by wearing a red cape. When she is there she see's a hanging of a pregnant woman. She saves the baby , and then taken into jail.

While in jail , she learns more about the city , and learns that its not so perfect. She is able to solve the coding from her mother because she kept a log of all the kids that were born on the outside and then advanced. Gaia mother gave all the kids a birthmark .

Gaia is also attracted to Sgt. Grey and with her solving the code..it was a relief to find out that they aren't related . Leon Grey is the protectorate son and a guard. He gives her little gifts through out the book. Gaia is able to break out of prison and find her mom. Her mom is also pregnant and Gaia delivers her sisters Maya.

Gaia is on the run and trying to solve the mystery of why certain kids are a certain way. Why only 1 midwife kept records of the births that she delivered is interesting.

As a parent I couldn't imagine giving up any of my kids. I don't think I could give up my child to someone just because it was law. This book kept me on my toes and many times I wondered why this society was this way. I have more questions about the parents, family members mentioned, whether Leon survived, and whats going to happen to Gaia. I will be reading the next book and its awesome.

Gaia does have some romance with leon and we learn more if his story . Gaia doesn't feel as pretty because of her scar on her face, and because of her actions or not knowing about the conclave, she becomes a hero or someone that help the city with knowing who the birth parents are to the kids in the city. She finds her brother . Gaia seems birthmaked for something big that help the future .
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.

05/17/2010 page 15
05/18/2010 page 115
31.86% "wow"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Caragh (new) - added it

Caragh I'm really happy my book was chosen for BWB. Glad you liked it!
Caragh