Jeannie Sloan's Reviews > The Watchers Out of Time

The Watchers Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft

Feb 05, 10

bookshelves: horror, cthulhu
Read on February 05, 2010

Granted,I was not feeling too warm and fuzzy about Derth from the start by the insulting introduction about Lovecraft and then to find out Lovecraft had very little to do with the writing of these stories and then the Christianization of the stories...Well,I was not pleased.This book goes back to the library not completed.
Back to Lovecraft and his friends at Cthulu 2000.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watchers Out of Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert You tell 'em, Jeannie!

Jeannie Sloan Thanks Robert!I was annoyed.I had read almost the whole first story and was confused on why it wasn't making a lot of sense.The writer is not Lovecraft and was making a lot of stupid errors like one minute saying his 'sleep was peaceful' and then saying it was 'disturbed' all night.Those kind of nonsensical things that a junior author should catch.Plus the introduction called Lovecraft's life'pathetic' and said that Derleth was the one who made Lovecraft what he is today in the public mind.He did publish Lovecraft's works but probably had a very little to do with the stories.It sounded like bitter grapes all around.Plus Lovecraft was an Atheist and did not believe in heaven or the soul while Derleth wrote in his stories about heaven and that the old gods were probably good.Yuck!Really poor effort.Of course,I am not very tolerant about organized religion anyways...My bias.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert "I am not very tolerant about organized religion anyways...My bias."

Yours and mine both.

Jeannie Sloan Good.I am also very liberal so have a hard time with what I view to be Conservative propaganda.

message 5: by David (new) - added it

David Interesting, I'm glad you said something. I wouldn't have guessed this by just looking at the description. Certainly drops down on my list.