Lisa Vegan's Reviews > WWW: Wake

WWW by Robert J. Sawyer

Apr 25, 10

bookshelves: fiction, novel, speculative-fiction, reviewed, groups-buddies
Read from April 23 to 25, 2010

This was an incredibly fast read, and I really enjoyed the story.

I loved the premise. I loved all the subplots, event though some of them are abruptly dropped, at least in this first book; it is a trilogy. All the parts of this book did make sense to me though and they did all converge well.

After the first several pages, I completely enjoyed Caitlin Decter, an almost sixteen year old girl who has been blind since birth, and then gets an opportunity to have an operation that might allow her to see. I found her to be likeable and interesting.

I was fascinated with all the Helen Keller quotes and information about her life. I’ve always been interested in her, and using her as an example in this particular story was a brilliant move.

I appreciated all the secondary characters including the Decter’s cat, Caitlin’s father (very interesting!) and mother, Hobo and his humans, Sinanthropus, Masayuki Kuroda, Bashira, and some others. In fact, not too far into the book, there were so many characters, I was afraid I wouldn’t remember them all, but the narrative actually ended up being very easy to follow. But, Caitlin and the not so mysterious entity Caitlin is able to see first , are the most compelling characters.

There’s some interesting stuff here about blindness, and vision, the world wide web (WWW), sentience, language, etc. It might not be great literature, but I found it thought provoking.

This is my first Robert J. Sawyer book. His website is at sfwriter.com, and he’s got some interesting group discussion questions for this book.

This book is the first book in a trilogy and, while it works okay as a standalone book, I am curious about what happens next. I will most likely read the second and third books, although I might wait to see whether other Goodreads members rate book two as highly as they do this one.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WWW.

04/22/2010 page 1
0.28% "I'll see if I can start this tonight. If not, it might be Emily of New Moon or Betsy Was a Junior."
04/23/2010 page 23
6.5% "Enjoying it so far. For a 5/15 group read. The Unit, a 5/1 group read, I'll pick up at the library on Monday."
04/23/2010 page 104
29.38% "Fascinating! Many characters to try to remember."
04/24/2010 page 183
51.69% "Excellent! I'm not sure yet how all the parts are going to converge."
04/24/2010 page 258
72.88% "I thought I'd have more time to read. Going to be hard to not stay up and finish this book."