LJ's Reviews > The Winter of Frankie Machine

The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow

Nov 07, 07

bookshelves: male_author, suspense, anti-hero, so_cal_la, contemporary_post_1945
Read in October, 2007

- THE WINTER OF FRANKIE MACHINE (Suspense, Frank Machianno, San Diego, Cont) - VG
Winslow, Don - Standalone
Vintage Crime, 2006, US Paperback, ISBN: 9780307277664
First Sentence: It is not easy being me.
*** Frank Machianno has an ex-wife, a girlfriend, a daughter, loves to surf and owns several businesses. He is also a retired hit man for the mob, once known as Frankie Machine. A favor for an old friend turns out to be an attempted hit on Frankie’s life. Thinking back to events of the past, he has to stay alive and figure out who wants him dead.
*** Winslow is one of those rare authors who can really make me root for the anti-hero. Perhaps it is because Frankie, at the beginning, was out of the life and perhaps because he always stayed true to his credo that “never kill innocents, Winslow is a terrific writer who has put a very human, sympathetic face on Frankie. There’s not a lot of development of the other characters, but most don’t live log enough that it matters. These are very brutal people, and this is a very brutal and violent book. In fact, there is so much violence, it tends to overwhelm the human side of the story, it becomes numbing and, I hate to say, almost boring. Even so, it is a stunningly written book and I was turning the pages as quickly as I could, wanting to know what would happen next. I, for one, am very glad to have Mr. Winslow back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter of Frankie Machine.