LJ's Reviews > The Ivy Tree

The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart

Nov 07, 07

bookshelves: female_author, mystery, romantic_suspense, england, contemporary_post_1945
Read in October, 2007

THE IVY TREE (Suspense, Mary Grey/Annabel Winslow-England-cont) - Ex
Stewart, Mary – Standalone
Hodder & Stoughton, 1961, UK Hardcover
First Sentence: I might have been alone in a painted landscape.
*** Annabel Winslow has been dead for four years. Mary Grey, over from Canada, looks enough like Annabel to be her twin. When Conner, foreman at Whitescar, stumbles upon her, it takes a bit of convincing that she is Mary. Con, and his half-sister, Lisa, work up a plan for Mary to pretend to be the missing Annabel long enough to ensure her grandfather passes the ownership of Whitescar to Con in his will. Annabel Winslow has been dead for four years. Or has she?
*** This is Mary Stewart at her very best. With lovely nods to Josephine Tey’s “Brat Farrar,” which I also loved, “The Ivy Tree” is a more complex, layered book, although the clues are there for us to find. Stewart’s characters come alive and even have reader questioning just who is Mary? There is that constant threat of danger. Her descriptions and use of imagery make me go back and re-read passages for the pure pleasure of her words. It is a story of love, loss, and hope is wonderfully timeless. Stewart is always such a pleasure to read and this is one of, if not the, best of her works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ivy Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nan I've read all her suspense novels and for my money, this one IS the best. Though I can reread any one of them in a heartbeat.

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJ I agree, Nan. It's amazing how well they've held up through the years.

message 3: by Nan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nan I know. I write mysteries myself (probably because I read so many of hers!), and envy Mary Stewart her time period of no cell phones, texting or internet--huge obstacles to maintaining suspense. Otherwise Annabelle could have just texted 911. Also envy her talent, but sure am glad she had it. (Maybe still has it--don't think she's dead.)

message 4: by LJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJ She is still alive and living in Edinburgh, although she's not written anything for a number of years. Considering she's 96, I think that's understandable.