BookSweetie's Reviews > Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters First 100 Years

Having Our Say by Sarah L. Delany

Feb 04, 2010

Read in February, 2010

How many folks are you acquainted with who are over one hundred years old? Well, here is an oral history-style book that gives you that chance to get to know not one, but two such women -- remarkable ones at that. Sarah (Sadie) and A. Elizabeth (Bessie) Delany are a pair of sisters who teamed up with Amy Hill Hearth to tell us their own stories. What a folksy, delightful and worthwhile read! Each sister's singular personality adds a richness to the history and wisdom they share about being children of a man born into slavery in the southern US and a woman of mixed racial background who was born free who together raised their ten children -- all of whom became college educated --to survive and thrive in spite of barriers like Jim Crow laws and discriminatory societal practices. Who are these people? What happened to them and in the world around them during their lives? What challenges did they and those close to them encounter in life? How did they face them? What is it like for them to have lived so long? There are answers to these questions and more in this gem of a book. I finished this book and immediately wanted to know what happened next. If one of these incredibly bonded sisters died, what would that mean for the surviving sister? And which would outlive the other? Well, indeed, there is ANOTHER book titled ON MY OWN AT 107, so when I get my hands on that book, I am guessing some of my questions will find answers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Having Our Say.