adventurat's Reviews > The Call of Cthulhu

The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft

Feb 04, 10

bookshelves: 2010, classic, paranormal, short-fiction, e-book
Read in February, 2010

I downloaded this from (I think) Project Gutenberg: furthering my classical education. Well, except that this one was written within the last 100 years, so perhaps it's not actually a classic yet? But that's all semantics.

All I know about Cthulhu, I learned from Futurama and LiveJournal, so obviously it wasn't much. Wikipedia tells me that this is only the first in a series of stories about Cthulhu and the cult, and that it is generally regarded as the author's masterpiece.

Horror fiction is not at all my thing - I lost my appetite for it at an early age (too impressionable) - so I can't comment on the literary significance of this story, its importance to the genre, or to fiction in general. But as a standalone story, I thought it was pretty good. I was surprised to find it so readable, so involving. There are some brilliant uses of language (though I had to look up "Cyclopean") and some excellent descriptions.

I get the pop culture references now. That is reason enough to have read this short book. (Novella?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of Cthulhu.