Nina's Reviews > To the Lighthouse

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Feb 04, 10

My introduction to Virginia Woolf was Mrs. Dalloway that I read a few weeks earlier. The best introduction to this writer and her special way of writing. I loved Mrs. Dalloway, it’s the most amazing book I ever read in that kind of genre. To The Lighthouse..is kind of the same..but yet different.

Again it’s about thoughts and observations, instead of finding it great to hear these from the characters they where now very hard to follow. Again the sentences where very long and kind of poetic. To truly understand them I had to read it over and over again, and even then I didn’t understand all of it. Maybe it was because I could not relate to any of the characters or that my mind wasn’t in the right state of mind to read this one, but this one was hard.

Near the end, maybe thirty pages before the end (when Mrs. Ramsay died) the story really got interesting to read and the pages flew by. In the beginning of the story you read that the trip to the lighthouse has been cancelled. James and even Mrs. Ramsay really wanted to go, but Mr. Ramsay told them that they couldn’t go because of the bad weather that was coming.

I loved that when Mrs. Ramsay dies, years later Mr. Ramsay, James and Cam (two of his children) comes back to the summer residence and goes to the lighthouse with them.

The love between Mrs. Ramsay and Mr. Ramsay was absolutely there. When they took a walk in the garden and she touched his arm, something that she wouldn’t do as fast, but it just felt right, made me shiver. They couldn’t express their love in words, but just the looks and the thoughts they had where enough to know that they loved each other more than anyone in the world.

I enjoyed reading the book, but sometimes I just had to stop and put it away for a hour. I’ am definitely going to read allot more books written by Woolf
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Lighthouse.