oliviasbooks's Reviews > Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

Feb 14, 10

bookshelves: borrowed-and-returned, young-adult-fiction, urban-fantasy-paranormal, horror, read-2010, not-afraid-of-sex-in-ya, debut
Read from February 04 to 14, 2010, read count: 1

3,5 stars. Until about two thirds of the book (the pimply-boy-at-the-lake-incident) I would have rated 4 fully colored stars. But human causalities leave a sour bytaste in my mouth - even in a horror book. And oh my ... is this a horror book.

Dia Reeves has done a clever job: The town's setting, which allows for every kind of monster or abnormity to appear, in combination with the mental illness and unpredictability of the heroine - including a special twist (her former mere hallucinations have by some strange influence of the town on the psyche turned out to be suddenly real and usable) - is a great base for letting unease and fear get a firm grip on the reader.

If Bleeding Violet were just a paranormal horror book with a little rough sex and a tough, fearless heroine thrown in, I would maybe stopped reading at some point, because horror is not my favored genre. But the multi-facetted mother-daughter-story and the musings about the desire to feel wanted and loved just because we are who we are - and what we might do to gain that affection - created an extraordinary mix hard not to like.

So. You are on the look-out for your next urban fantasy horror that dips below the surface and you don't mind exchanging your usual romantically inclined and weak heroine, who is in need of a strong supernatural hero, for a bad-ass-girl who calculatingly uses the fact that she fascinates men to gain her goal? Go and grab Bleeding Violet.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Violet.

02/09/2010 page 60