Trish's Reviews > Rebekah

Rebekah by Orson Scott Card

Feb 04, 10

Read in January, 2010

I've known the bible story of Rebekah since I was little and I never understood how she could lie and still be serving the Lord. We know that Jacob is supposed to get the birthright, but it's still wrong to lie, right? Now that I'm older, I can see how Card's treatment of the story is entirely plausible. No one, save Jesus Christ, is perfect. Prophets are still men, not gods. The wives of prophets are still women and human. What sets them apart is how well they hear and follow the Holy Ghost. Just like any of us, sometimes they are tuned in very well to the Spirit and sometimes other noise takes over. And how interesting is it that Isaac could both understand and agree with his father's decision to kill him while also being hurt that he could and did choose to. That's life-changing, for sure, and the kind of baggage that would be very hard to let go of.

These are the things I enjoyed about this audio book. Perhaps I would have felt differently had I been reading from the pages of a book (much slower going). Audio vs. reading are vastly different experiences for me. I listened while doing the dishes or other chore over a few days and enjoyed the narrator's voice. While she could never actually sound like a man, I thought she did the voices of the men very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebekah.