Mike's Reviews > Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country

Scalped, Vol. 1 by Jason Aaron

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: creator-owned

This series starts off with a real bang. Issue #1 immediately sets the tone and milieu for a whole lotta shit in a tiny, pressure cooker community of low lifes, shit kickers and double-dealing snakes. There isn't one redeeming character in the whole bunch of them, and it's fantastic.

Dash, Shunka, Chief Red Crow, Gina, Diesel, Nitz and the shaman/drunk all get introduced in the FIRST ISSUE, giving us a smorgasbord of meaty, compromised and shifty characters to chew on. And gives us all the madness and action of a rough, sharp-as-razor setting to make us jealous we didn't have whatever life experience led Aaron and Guera to be able to inhabit this hellhole so vividly. Pretty much every character by this point already feels fully formed and very real.

This book runs pretty much headlong to the final pages, towards the tragic cliffhanger that *really* sets this story in motion. The storytelling that leads up to this ending is pretty impressive - layers of parallels that any typical script just wouldn't (or couldn't) pull together with elegance and subtlety.

The art at this point is already pretty damn good - some of the lighting and shadows are just perfect for the mood, and the action is almost always easy to follow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scalped, Vol. 1.