GenreGroup's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

U 50x66
Feb 03, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, fantasy-classics

Jessica Bowers’s Review:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the first book in C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia series. It is the story of four siblings – Lucy, Susan, Peter, and Edmund Pevensie – and their unexpected arrival and subsequent adventures in the magical land of Narnia. When the children arrive in Narnia, the land is in a state of perpetual winter brought on by the evil White Witch, who has made the land a very dangerous place for its inhabitants. The Witch is alarmed by the Pevensies’ arrival in Narnia, since an ancient prophecy foretold that she would meet her doom when “two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve” ruled on the four thrones of Cair Paravel, the beautiful castle by the sea (p. 78). The siblings meet a cast of strange and endearing characters, from talking fauns and beavers to the Great Lion, Aslan. The children experience many joys and hardships in Narnia, eventually joining their new friends in a war to free Narnia from the clutches of the White Witch.

Many adults criticize Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia series for its perceived Christian symbolism, but I never noticed any of that when I read these books as a child (I do, of course, see it now that I am re-reading them as an adult, but it doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of them). When I read these books during my tween years, I loved the engrossing world that they created for me. These books helped me grow to love reading, and I think they can still do the same for tweens today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Hannah If you like Narnia, you should check out the "King of the Trees" series, too. I've read all six books in the series. I hear the author is writing more. I think they are better than Narnia, but that's just my opinion. They make nice readalouds, because each book has a pronunciation guide and glossary at the back.