Marisa's Reviews > When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put

When Wanderers Cease to Roam by Vivian Swift

Feb 09, 10

Read from February 03 to 09, 2010

I was really excited to read "When Wanderers Cease to Roam" - I had read some good reviews and also liked the concept. I liked the idea of a "memoir" type of writing about someone who had always wanted to be moving and had chosen to stay-put - someone who was basically enjoying where they were fully, while looking back at the great adventures of their life. Also, I liked the idea of mixing mediums (journal-style writings with watercolor paintings).

However, Swift didn't live up to my expectations. The book ended up being a bit campy with quotations and phrases all over the pages that reminded me of sentences that would be engraved into wood and sold in a interior decoration store for vacation stores. It came out a bit trite and not as revealing/honest as I hoped. That said, I did read the entire book so Swift did do a good job of holding my attention with the drawings and easy reading style to get me through. She made it easy to relate to her life of enjoying the beautiful place you may have found yourself, but not easy enough to get over the lack of real insight.

Teton County Library Call No: NEW 808.80355 SWIFT V

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Wanderers Cease to Roam.