Elizabeth's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

Mar 01, 10

Read from February 03 to 23, 2010

One of the most inspiring books I've ever read and may change what I'd like to do in the future as far as my fundrasing efforts go (would love to perhaps work for one of the orgs profiled in the book).

It's a must read for all my amigas/amigos and for all our politicians, leaders in many fields from military to aid workers, philanthropists, educators, etc!!!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Hayes You are one of many readers who described this book as inspiring or who gave it 5 STARS.

The authors of this book sought not merely to provide us with a rich reading experience, desirable and enjoyable for its own sake. They sought also to spur us to do something.

That is why, in the final chapter of their book, they recommended these actions:

Four Steps You Can Take in Ten Minutes:

1. Go to Global Giving or KIVA and open an account
2. Sponsor a girl or a woman through Plan International, Women for Women International, World Vision, or American Jewish World Service.
3. Sign up for e-mail updates at Women’s e-News and World Pulse
4. Join the CARE Action Network

(The GET INVOLVED page on the Half the Sky website is filled with other ways to get involved.)

That is also why, in addition, they revealed what they themselves did:

• Supported a program for runaway girls on Global Giving
• Lent money to a woman in Paraguay through Kiva
• Sponsored children through Plan International

It seems to me that we, who have read their book, ought to do likewise. We ought to say what we have done, hoping thereby not only to encourage others to read the book, but also to empower those others to do something: to make a difference for the girls and women about whom the book was written.

Something that I did: made a donation at the Global Giving website to a project for educating girls in Malawi. If you were inspired by this book, perhaps you will tell us something that you did.