Cheryl Klein's Reviews > The Catalogue of the Universe

The Catalogue of the Universe by Margaret Mahy

May 12, 10

bookshelves: romance, ya-fiction
Read on March 10, 2010

This was my favorite of the three Mahy books I've read recently (the other two being THE CHANGEOVER and THE TRICKSTERS), perhaps because it didn't involve magic -- at least her brand of it, which I find a bit oblique. Instead, they're just people being people, and the people are really dimensional and interesting: Angela, the beautiful girl who wants to find her father; Tycho, the short astronomer who loves Angela; their families and houses -- and that's about it. Thinking back over it, I'm a bit startled by how little actually takes place in the book (which covers only about three days total), but MaHy makes that little matter; and the writing is filled with interesting nuggets of observation or wisdom:

"We're nature red in tooth and claw, *and* read in truth and law, both at the same time."

"Few things were so irrevocable as hanging up the phone in a phone booth."

"Tycho put his arms around her and held her close, feeling he must certainly prop himself up until he got over the thrilling news now delivered to him from all his astonished frontiers."

Very satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catalogue of the Universe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

GraceAnne I love this book sooo much. I used to teach it in the "Romance romance" unit of my YA class, but my students stopped loving it. I wonder if it was dated - it did not seem so to me.

GraceAnne I adore this book, I used to teach it in the "romance" unit of my YA lit course, but students began to find it old-fashioned, which made me sad.