Misfit's Reviews > Carrie Kingston

Carrie Kingston by Betty Layman Receveur

Feb 06, 10

bookshelves: one-time-read-only, historical-romance
Read in February, 2010

Her parents dead and her brother and fiancé soldiers in the Confederate army, Carrie Kingston takes charge of the family's sugar plantation, Kingston's Landing. Renegade Union soldiers have murdered her uncle and burned his neighboring plantation and fearing the same fate at the hands of newly arrived Captain Rance Stewart, Carrie hopes to charm him instead, but Rance gets the wrong idea and believes she a lose woman looking for a one-night stand, although he is flummoxed at finding Carrie a virgin. Carrie soon heads for New Orleans in an effort to find financing for next year's sugar crop and her path soon crosses time and again with Captain Stewart. Will the two ever be able to find true love and happiness together, or will Carrie's hatred of Union soldiers keep them apart? Will she lose her beloved Kingston's Landing to the ravages of war?

I had read the author's two books on Kentucky, Oh, Kentucky! and Kentucky Home and found them a perfect blend of romance and historical and was really looking forward to one set in the Civil War period. *Yawn* While not bad, this was quite disappointing. The romance is a bit tame and the novel itself is full of overly used clichés - I was getting real tired of hearing about Carrie's pert breasts and heaving bosom to name two. As for the historical side of this one, well there's just not much of it outside of a narrative here and there telling us what was happening at those far-off battles. I just didn't feel much connection to it, and Carrie's experiences certainly aren't up to the horror we all loved seeing Scarlett O'Hara go through.

Recommended for die-hard fans looking for any and every romance set during the Civil War - and be warned the sex is very tame. If you're looking for a book filled with non-stop sex this isn't the one for you. Big thumbs down on the editor as well, this book is rife with typos of the worst kind. There is a note at the back of the book that Molly Gallagher by this author is about Carrie's grandmother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie Kingston.

02/05/2010 page 210
51.47% "Entertaining, but light. Probably a three star read unless she pulls off something really good at the end."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I've gone on an old romance acquisition spree. Found some that look like real gems, and this one looks good too! Oh boy, I'll have to add it.

Misfit I started it yesterday for a *breather*. It might only end up as a three star, but compared to the rest of the crap that's now going as romance....

The first scene between the H&H was a bit odd but I'll see if I can get past it. I really enjoyed her two on Kentucky a couple of years ago.

Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur Kentucky Home by Betty Layman Receveur

Even Dan'l Boone's in those two.

Joanne I'll not add another review as this is an oldie and I really can't add much to your review. This was the sequel to Molly Gallagher which I enjoyed very much and I have to give the author a big thumbs up for getting her facts right and recreating a very sensitive time in history with race. I'll have to try to locate the Kentucky novels.

Misfit Oh my, this is an old review I'd forgotten about. I liked the Kentucky novels, especially the first one.