Angela's Reviews > The Corinthian

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

Feb 04, 10

bookshelves: fiction, regency, romance
Read from February 02 to 04, 2010, read count: 1

Though I wasn't initially engaged with the rather drawn-out and verbose beginning, I quickly found myself hooked into one of Heyer's most madcap adventures of those I have read (on par, or even more outrageous than The Grand Sophy). Despite the convoluted plot and rather tenuous role of chance threading its way through the novel, I enjoyed myself immensely.

The two main characters are wonderfully written, with more believable motives and character arcs than the otherwise fantastic story would seem to support. I agree with other reviewers that, in our day, a romance with a 12-year age disparity feels rather awkward - even inappropriate - but I think Heyer pulled it off just fine. I would recommend this book to regency fans in general, and Heyer fans in particular.

I should add that my favorable impression was increased by the fact that I listened to this book on CD; it was read by Eve Matthison, who gave a fantastic performance and added wonderful inflection, accents, and emotion to the story. I recommend this version even more than the hard copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corinthian.