Sarah Null's Reviews > The Help

Feb 11, 10

bookshelves: book-club, book-club-dm
Recommended to Sarah by: Alison
Read from February 03 to 10, 2010

Having spent two of my formative years in North Carolina, I can tell you that racism and classism are still very much alive in the Deep South. Fortunately, we've come a long way, but there is still a long way to go.

But this book is about so much more than the way maids were treated in 1960s Jackson, Mississippi. It's more than a story of how the Junior League president ruled the lives of pretty much everyone in town. Mostly, it is a story about doing something. Taking action. Trying to change the status quo. Recognizing that we aren't so different from one another. And when we embrace that, just at look what can happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

02/03/2010 page 1
02/10/2010 page 451
100.0% 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sherrey Sarah, I grew up in the South, TN to be precise, and each time I go there to visit, it hurts me to realize that this country hasn't come as far as it thinks it has in race relations. Thank you for being honest based on your own experience there.

Jennifer Zimny It's hard to pick my favorite book I read this year, but this one is up there. Definitely in my top 3!

Sarah Null I liked it a lot but I don't think it's a favorite. Hmm. I think The Hunger Games and Those Who Save Us are probably my favorites this year. I also really loved Heart of the Matter and The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers.

message 4: by Cma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cma Sarah- I strongly agree! When there is a wrongdoing, people need to stop just sitting around and DO SOMETHING. This theme was especially evident in the novel and so was the theme of inequality. But even today, we still have racism problems that can be fixed, so people should take this book into consideration and do something about the bad in the world!

Scott Worden It's all across the U.S. but I was shocked to see so many Confederate flags when I went on vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.