awesomatik.com's Reviews > Die Vermessung der Welt

Die Vermessung der Welt by Daniel Kehlmann

Mar 23, 10

Read from March 09 to 21, 2010

This book was on the bestsellerlist for weeks in Germany, so I thought I'd give it a try even though the premise sounded rather hard to read.
It was quite the opposite although the whole dialogue is in reported speech which needs a little time to get used to.
What made it a quick read was the humoristic approach. Altough the mathematician Gauss and the scientist Humboldt were geniuses in their time, the author described them in a comical almost slapstick way. They behave kind of goofy and stupid. I thought that this was a nice approach, to take these two important and intelligent personalities and write only a little story about them even though their biographies could have been turned into an epic novel. Daniel Kehlmann chose to surprise the readers, which I guess made this book so successfull.
My only criticism would be that the story doesn't really move forward. The protagonists devote their lives to science, get old and there is a little montage of the two biografies at the end but it lacks a little in suspense and conflict.

Overall a good read. Nothing more, nothing less...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Vermessung der Welt.