Seleucid's Reviews > The House of God

The House of God by Samuel Shem

Aug 31, 10

Read from August 06 to 31, 2010

Medicine is an illusion society needs, it helps them to know that no matter what happens, there's a guild of masters dedicating their lives to the creed of making them whole and powerful. No matter what it takes. This popular image can get into the head of the med student, and he can fall into one of the several traps illustrated in this book.

The perfect time to read this book would be fourth or fifth year. Memorize the catchphrases, and it will make you bypass the shock easily. Know what's a gomer, a BMS, a zebra... it's essential.

What gives this book a bigger dimension, makes it even more bleak, is that it was written in the seventies. No ultrasound, CT, MRI, most of the medications now available. It portrays the helplessness and futile hubris of our profession perfectly.

It's not a literary masterpiece, and don't be disturbed by the character being a pervert (it's the seventies, he's normal). Keep it close to you as a guide book, and if you see yourself naming zebras, beware.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of God.

Quotes Seleucid Liked

Samuel Shem
“Gomers are human beings who have lost what goes into being human beings. They want to die, and we will not let them.”

Samuel Shem
“To do nothing for the gomers was to do something, and the more conscientiously I did nothing the better they got.”

Samuel Shem
“The patient is the one with the disease”

08/06/2010 page 190
48.0% "The perfect book to start your internship with LOL"
08/16/2010 page 260
65.0% "An unexpected, real smart twist. I'm.glad it's keeping the gloom so real, so fresh"
08/17/2010 page 300
76.0% "Ok I'm at part three. Taking a rest from this and starting the book club book."