Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

{Originally read February 1, 2010. Reread August 2013}
Oh. Em. Gee.

This is hands down one of my favorite werewolf stories.

This is my first Patricia Briggs novel. There are currently three stories in the Alpha & Omega Series -- starting with the short story "Alpha and Omega" from the On the Prowl anthology (which you absolutely MUST read as it includes a HUGE amount of important backstory, since Cry Wolf picks up right where the short story left off), and continues on with Hunting Ground. A third novel in the series is due out Fall of 2011 so we've got a while to wait on that one.

I loved the mythology of these stories, but even more so, I loved the interaction between Charles and Anna. So many "fated to be mated" stories have the hero and heroine madly in lust from the get-go with tons of smexin' until they finally "give in" and fall in love. However, that's simply not the case with Charles and Anna. Their wolves accepted the mating bond long before their human sides did, and Charles is SO gentle and understanding with Anna that I couldn't help but love him a bit myself. She's been through such horrors for the three years that she's been a werewolf, and not many alpha-males would be as patient and kind as Charles was.

As Patricia Briggs says on her website, their romance is sweet rather than steamy. And yet, even with my love of trashy novels, I wasn't bothered a single bit by the fact that the one sexual encounter was brief and in general terms rather than explicit.

I really enjoyed watching Anna overcome her abuse and start to accept her power and place as an Omega. I still hold out hope that her old pack will get their comeuppance for their treatment of her, and will not go unpunished.

5 Solid Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Wolf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Great review, Jess. I'm reading Alpha and Omega, and I'm excited to read this one.

Mina Khan This is my favorite Patricia Briggs books. Anna starts out broken and ends up a strong and amazing character not because of anything supernatural, but because of the choices she makes and the quiet love she finds. This book reminds me that we all can survive bad situations.