Junkie for the Written Word's Reviews > Valeria's Last Stand

Valeria's Last Stand by Marc Fitten

Feb 02, 2010

bookshelves: good-books
Recommended for: people who like to laugh
Read from February 02 to 05, 2010

A genuinely funny book. I’ve had a good 2010 when it comes to books so far and this one is adding to my streak. I like to pick up books by new authors because you never know when you’re going to find something new and unexplored. Valeria’s Last Stand is that. It's seriously funny, there were times I actually had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard. Be warned though, it’s not the stupid funny some people enjoy, it’s a comedy for grown ups, which is so rare since most funny books seem to cater to the 16 – 24 year old male.

The characters were so rich I wanted to lick them. They were vivid and you really liked or disliked them or felt sorry for them or all of the above. The story was well fleshed out and balanced, I didn’t feel it had to much middle, not enough end, and a too explanatory beginning or any other combination of imbalance. The world he created was charming and compelling. I’ve never been to Hungary after the collapse of communism, when capitalism was just taking root, but if I do get a chance to travel back into the mid 1990s and I happen into a small Hungarian village and it is not exactly like the one in this book I will tell them they are doing it wrong.

I’ll read this book again. And recommend it to a lot of people, especially my mom, who will be tickled to read about the love affair of a 68 year old woman… who doesn’t need beauty products… yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valeria's Last Stand.