Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Feb 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, fantasy, young-adult
Read from February 02 to 03, 2010

Of course I've heard about Percy Jackson - I live in a house with an almost 7 year old boy and that's all he's talked about for months now. So, a few months ago I splurged and bought the series knowing that they would be read and re-read, if not by me, then at least by my nephew.

I wasn't disappointed in The Lightning Thief, the first of the series. My favorite Disney movie has been Hercules, ever since it was released. (Even surpassing Snow White which, for me, is pretty huge!). I'm fascinated by the Greek Gods and love learning about them. And Rick Riordan did a great job of taking confusing content and putting it into not just readable form, but readable form that will keep and hold a young kids interest.

In this book we follow Percy as he learns who his father is and sets out on his quest. The journey is full of twists and turns (not wholly unpredictable, but amusing nonetheless) and there's plenty of action, strong female and male lead characters and lore to keep everyone interested.

It's good to know that I can feel good about recommending this book to my nephew. I gifted it to another nephew for Christmas (who is a bit older) and my sister reports that it's turned him into quite the reader. That alone makes the book well worth its high rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Thanks for the recommendation, I got this for my 13 year old son, and he loved it.

Lydia Presley Awesome, it's a fun book! Gonna finish reading the series next week.