Mark Dewey's Reviews > The Magic City

The Magic City by E. Nesbit

Feb 03, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, public-domain, juvenile, audio
Read from February 02 to 03, 2010

This was a cool book. I liked the ideas in it, and the story was cool.

With the exception of /The Book of Dragons/, and her other short fiction, I think I prefer E. Nesbit's fantasy that has a grounding in the real world most. There's a reason for this, though. When she writes in pure fantasy mode, she tends to go faster and introduce more characters more quickly. The adult characters in her pure fantasy stories totally cater to the fantasy settings, as well, and often seem like a part of the child's imagination. The fantasy worlds seem this way, as well—and I guess from what happened, this makes complete sense. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it makes it harder for me to follow, and for some reason it doesn't hold my interest quite as much in some parts. I don't think it would be quite the same for a kid, though. Anyway, that aside, I can say I really liked the book. Don't let this dissuade you, though—I did really like the book (I just thought it was a little arduous of a listen).

Don't confuse this with /The Magic World/, by E. Nesbit—that book is a collection of short stories; this one is not. Speaking of short stories, E. Nesbit wrote a short story that is very similar to this novel. I forgot which one it was, but it doesn't quite surprise me. She does seem to revisit her ideas once in a while (i.e. compare /The Railroad Children/ with /The Treasure Seekers/). At first, I wasn't so sure that I liked this tendency, but I think I appreciate it a lot more, now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic City.

02/02/2010 "Minute 17 of chapter 5."
02/02/2010 "Minute 17 of chapter 5 (of 12)."
02/02/2010 page 4
50.0% "The Magic City. Minute 17 of chapter 5 (of 12)."