Adrienna's Reviews > Goodness and Mercy

Goodness and Mercy by Vanessa Davis Griggs

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: owned-book, urban-christian-fiction
Read from February 02, 2010 to April 27, 2011

Gabrielle Mercedes (Booker) takes us into her life story and experiences gradually but surely. There are many women like Gabrielle, who want to know God, regardless of their horrible past. They eventually shut those out of their lives who mean them no good, or only use them when they are doing good. She can hardly pay her bills, because once she gets saved she felt that she had to leave her job and all her past behind us. Some of us can take things in the Bible to the extreme but she knows that she wants to meet her dream--that is dancing. Zachary, he not only looks good but knows how to say the right things that line-up with the Bible--what a charmer! Darius is a crook in the nook and has a great wife that loves their children dearly, poor Tiffany needs a wake-up call. Fatima seems like the perfect friend and Christian, but hidden secrets that I pray she has repented for and keep living faithfully on this righteous walk with God.

Once again, Vanessa creates characters that are so dear and real to your heart. I could just grab and hug or kiss some of these characters.

Love when she speaks on "callings vs. gifts" and how to recognize who we are in Christ, which are the keys to salvation and being a new creature in Christ. We are to lay those old things to rest and become more like Christ (who we serve and love). We also are to trust in God wholeheartedly, to have such spunk and on fire for the Lord just like when we first got saves. Where is that fire that was once there when we first longed to know God, seen his miracles performed before us, and became spiritually lazy once we've gotten spiritually matured.

*Can see how she puts great concepts from the Bible in a story that can last a lifetime in our hearts and minds. I actually underlined some things in this book--wow a novel I might add. I'd love to have her on my ministry Internet-radio showcase someday in the future--God willing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodness and Mercy.

11/08/2010 page 8
04/17/2011 page 8
3.0% "Will have to start over this week..."
04/23/2011 page 50
17.0% "Had to start over while at the beauty shop and got this far."
04/26/2011 page 180
60.0% "waiting to see how Gabby's life pays out since I can relate to some issues she's facing in the book."
show 1 hidden update…