Sunflower's Reviews > In the Beginning

In the Beginning by Buck Denver

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010-book-reviews, tyndale-reviewed
Read in February, 2010

Watching “What’s In The Bible” by Phil Vischer with the kids, it was hard to tell who had the most fun, me or the kids.

Filled with animations, puppets, singers, “What’s In the Bible” is a very in depth, entertaining dvd, designed to introduce elementary age children to basic concepts of the bible.

The overall format is different from the popular “Veggie Tales” that ourselves and our children are used to as well as, instead of the popular computer animation, instead “What’s In the Bible” is filled with puppets and more paper cartoon animations.

From “What’s In the Bible” website, the dvd series is explained as:

What’s in the Bible? aims to confront the growing crisis of Bible illiteracy within the Church. It’s more than a DVD series; it’s a movement aimed at our children and their families, at churches and pastors … at Christians who know Bible stories, but may not know all that much about the Bible itself.

Beginning with “Genesis "it covers the book of Genesis and Exodus and the key people who make up these chapters and running at pproximately 56 minutes running time for each dvd, and published by Tyndale what I really enjoyed is that, the “What’s In the Bible” dvd servies is an entertaining and intelligent approach at introducing the bible to elementary age children.

Although, I personally miss the “Veggie Tales” animation that made Phil Vischer’s popular series, what captures the imagination is that “What’s In the Bible” and particularly for the first video viewed, “In the Beginning” is that for older elementary children (roughly 7-9), it provides a good background to the books of the bible as well as relevant key terms, for children younger (4-6), the puppets and the songs will capture their attention, however, each child is different.

This is a great way to introduce children to each book of the bible in a fun, imaginative and eye catching way and for Sunday School teachers looking for new material to engage children, this is both informative and fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Beginning.