Eddie Watkins's Reviews > The Last Good Kiss

The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley

Oct 08, 14

bookshelves: american-fiction

Some hot ass shit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Good Kiss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eddie (last edited Nov 17, 2010 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eddie Watkins Maybe it's just my fixation on the man but I saw lots of Pynchon in this book, specifically Vineland and Inherent Vice - picaresque search for a lost girl, a 60's casualty, in the later light of lost idealisms; the seeker unhinged & intoxicated; settings in Northern California; & streaks of absurdist humor: a drunk bulldog in Crumley pairing with the mechanical dog in Mason & Dixon - but of course Crumley preceded Pynchon on all counts.

I say Pynchon read him.

A fantastically entertaining book that maybe got a bit slack in the latter parts as the plot ramped up its complications.

message 2: by David (new)

David I am more so voting for the comment 'Some hot ass shit' than for the review itself.

Eddie Watkins I was about to say... The review ain't much. Maybe I'll switch the two around.

Krok Zero Wow, what is in the air with everyone independently reading this book right now? I just gave it an ecstatic review a couple days ago, then Greg started reading it independently of that, and now this "hot-ass shit" proclamation. Weird.

Eddie Watkins I didn't even see that you and Greg had read this, Krok. I checked it out from the library long ago, after Adam reviewed it, and I started reading it last Sunday because I wanted to clear my overcrowded table of unread books. I'll have to track down your review...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This may be one of the best reviews I have ever read.

Eddie Watkins Oh come now!

message 8: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Sarki I am glad to know others besides myself thought this book a hoot of a read. Too bad his other stuff did not rise to this level. But Crumley gained a fan in me. I think the last one I read by him was when "A Mexican Tree Duck" came out, which wasn't so hot. Any other newer ones worth reading?

Eddie Watkins This is the only book of his I've read. Sounds like I shouldn't proceed further, though I probably will at some point. There most be glimmers of the same charge in others.

message 10: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Sarki I liked some of his older stuff.

message 11: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Sarki "The Wrong Case" and "Dancing Bear".

Eddie Watkins Thanks for the recs.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Eddie wrote: "This is the only book of his I've read. Sounds like I shouldn't proceed further, though I probably will at some point. There most be glimmers of the same charge in others."

The Final Country is my favorite of the Milo books. I really like all his detective novels even though none of them can ever hit the same chords he managed in The Last Good Kiss.

Still I agree with David and "the link to a YouTube Sonic Youth cover of Dylan's 'I'm Not There' video":

Possibly the best review of this book I've read.