Stephanie's Reviews > The Other Side of the River: A Story of Two Towns, a Death, and America's Dilemma

The Other Side of the River by Alex Kotlowitz

Oct 07, 08

Recommended for: anyone interested in race relations
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

I was hard on this book because I'd just finished David Simon's masterpiece "Homicide" (one of the best police books ever written) and I thought Kotlowitz's first book "There are No Children Here" was fantastic. Without those bias, I would have rated the book higher.
I thought Kotlowitz lived up to the excellent reporting he demonstrated in "No Children". But this time he as the writer became a character. It was interesting and I appreciated the background information about how he reached some conclusions but like I said, after Homicide, I was a little let down the Kotlowitz had to be part of the story.
Finally, I've never read another author who seems to write unbiased, truthful portraits of his subject as well as this man. In this book, he never seems to sugarcoat or embellish Eric's good or bad qualities. I relate it to Orson Scott Card's idea of having a speaker for the dead, I think Kotlwitz was Eric's speaker and he did an outstanding job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of the River.