Rebecca's Reviews > Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder

Nov 08, 07

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Recommended for: ages 12 and up
Read in November, 2007

This mostly-visual memoir from Nadia Shivack, written on various papers and napkins, is about her lifelong battle with anorexia and bulimia. The book's strength is its unflinching honesty: it is hard to read Nadia's words of self-loathing and see, through her drawings, the extent of her inner turmoil. Although many of us know intellectually the aspects of eating disorders, this book will make the emotional side hit home -- how "eating disorders are not due to a failure of will or behavior. They are real, treatable medical illnesses in which certain patterns of eating take on a life of their own."

I was especially struck by how well the reader is shown that it's not just about food: it's about love, connection, and the desire to disappear and/or die. Food is just a way to maintain control.

Nice list of resources in the back, as well as citations (web-only) for statistics listed throughout the book.

I was saddened to read that the author has been hospitalized several more times since the book was written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Hi! I put this on the youth desk with a note that it was YA... hope it ended up with you!

Rebecca Yep, I sent it to be changed - thanks for the heads-up. BTW...Young Adult is now Teen in the catalog!!!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica WOO HOO! That only took almost 8 years! WAY TO GO SISTA!