Brooke's Reviews > The Magician

The Magician by Michael Scott

Mar 05, 10

bookshelves: i-own-a-copy, favourites, big-bad-evil-people, super-powers, multi-pov
I own a copy

Just as good as book one, if not a touch better. It had been over a year since I had read The Alchemyst, I never felt as though I needed to go back and re-read the first book. I was just as impressed second time around, this is set to be a great series!

Picking up right where book one left off - Josh, Sophie, Nicholas, and Scatty have used a Leygate in Ojai to return to Nicholas' hometown - Paris.

Dr. John Dee is as persistent as ever, and is still only a few steps behind them. Sophie has had her powers Awakened by the Goddess Hekate and is learning to harness her skills in the magic of Air. Nicholas is enthusiastic in his belief that Sophie is ready to take the next step and begin training in the elemental magic of Fire.

Book two has a lot of Dee's partner, Niccolo Machiavelli. He is just as evil (if not slightly more deceptive). We also meet Comte de Saint-Germain and his wife Joan (revealed to be Joan of Arc), a friend of the Witch of Endor and now ally to Nicholas and the twins. Dee - as ruthless as ever - tries to sway the twins, working more so on Josh, in an attempt to bring them over to his side. We also flash back and forth to Perenelle, still trapped in Alcatraz, but unfaltering in her determination to find a way out.

After such a great read full of twists and turns, The Magician is sure to leave readers of the series wanting more - and for that, we turn to book three - The Sorceress.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician.