Xarah's Reviews > 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus

Nov 15, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Everybody
Read in November, 2007

It's amazing what people can do. Especially looking back in time and realizing that, in some respects, that past cultures are a whole lot smarter than we are today.

While there was a lot of information in this book I already knew - at least to a degree - there was a lot more detailed information as well as new information about different cultures that I had no idea! It was simply amazing!

I wonder what the world would be like if Columbus never sailed or if Europeans waited to come to the Americas. This book gave a lot of details regarding what Europeans saw when they first came to an unvisited area. Cortez was simply amazed when he saw Tenochtitlan - the Aztec city had clean streets, cleaner than those in Spain! The Maya had created three different calendars - one of which is more precise than the calendar we use today.

All these new cultures, all these new plants and animals, all these new ideas. Humans are amazing creatures. I only wish that we would look back at these past cultures and civilizations and see what they did to improve upon what we are doing today.

THIS IS A MUST READ!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1491.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline THE CAPSLOCK COMPELS ME!